Saturday, April 30, 2011

I'm Sorry What Was The Question?

A few months ago I put this blog together, after I invited questions from my friends on facebook and twitter.  Here are a few of the responses I got.  It was fun putting this blog post together.  I welcome your questions for the future, and would love to have another question and answer session.

What made you begin writing?

I began writing poetry when I was thirteen.  All through high school I carried a journal book that had cherubs on the cover of it that I filled with my poetry.  I would pass it around to my friends whenever I added a new poem.  Sometimes a waiting list formed among them to read it, which I thought was pretty cool.  I constructed the poems in margins of class study notes, and anywhere else I could write, folders, binders too; nothing was off limits when inspiration hit. 

Who are some of your favorite Authors?

This is such a hard question.  There are so many great authors out there.  I truly enjoy Amanda Hockings, Richelle Mead, Susan Colasanti, Lauren Kate and Alyson Noel.  They round out the top five, but honestly there are too many to name.  There have been so many series that I’ve enjoyed!  

Do you have any advice for aspiring Authors?

Follow your heart. Write about what you know. Don’t try to impress anyone, because if you are true to yourself, then your reader will get it.  Take a chance on yourself.  If someone tells you that you can’t, believe in yourself.  Maybe you can’t do it one way, but work it out and make it fit you.

Where did the idea for The Ocean come from?

I had family that lived in St. Petersburg, Florida.  Growing up we spent many winter breaks in Florida.  I began writing The Ocean around the same time I began writing poetry in high school.  The moment that actually triggered The Ocean was simple.  I was at St. Pete beach, and shared a few stolen glances and smiles with a boy.  I remember thinking “what if.”  So in my story, the boy had enough nerve to actually speak to the girl. 

Who is your favorite non-lead character in The Ocean?

I think Gianna’s best friend from pre-school Abby would be my favorite non-lead character (although she has some substantial competition).  She is confident, sarcastic, level headed, and smart.  She has an awesome sense of fashion.  She is a fierce protector of her friends; that make her beautiful and amazing.

Tell me about Travis and why I should get to know him.

Travis is sloppy, and forgetful.  Everyone likes Travis because he’s honest, nice to anyone.  He enjoys surfing, sports, and hanging with his friends.  When he meets Gianna he’s not looking for a girlfriend, however he feels drawn to her.  He is all for having a good time, but you will watch him develop and grow too.  

Tell me about Gianna and what she’s about.

Gianna is holding herself together for all of her saddness.  If you looked at her you would assume she has it all figured out but that is only appearances.  She is strong willed, and a thinker.  She decides things for herself and no one can change her mind. She has a subtle sense of humor, that is will ender her to you.    Making the most of having to live in a new town, with a father she doesn’t know, becomes easier as she leans on her friends, and Travis.  

Thanks for taking the time to check in with me here.

Until next time,

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment